Monday, January 9, 2012

Making the most of my 90 minutes

The downside to not eating processed food is cooking often involves lots of slicing and dicing. Even recipes designed to take 30 minutes or less, take closer to an hour once I'm set up with all the necessary chopped veggies.

Since I get home from the office with Hailey around 5, and she goes to bed at 6:30, I don't want to spend our entire 90 minutes together chopping onions.

To save down on my dinner prep time, I take Sunday evening and go through the week's recipes. I chop all the necessary veggies, mix spice rubs together, and set the oils I'll need at the front of the pantry. I then store the chopped veggies in a larger zip lock bag labeled with the day of the week they are needed. I also set myself google calendar reminders for throughout the week to make sure things go smoothly, since I would otherwise forget to put the chicken in the slow cooker, or turn the slow cooker on.

This week I plan to take it one step further by pre-cooking some meals the evening before after Hailey goes to bed, so I just need to heat it up the next night. I plan to do this with the Chicken in a Pot Pie and the Meatloaf. This way, I can devote my entire attention to Hailey during those 90 minutes, which go by all too quickly.

I'll let you know how it goes.

No comments:

Post a Comment