Monday, April 16, 2012

Days 6 & 7

This little family had a great weekend to round out the first week of our Whole 30.
Saturday morning began with a super easy sausage and sweet potato hash for breakfast. (Recipe here, I added fennel and oregano and skipped the cinnamon). We all loved it, and it was nice for Isaac to have something substantial. He doesn't eat eggs, so breakfast has been consisting of an egg protein shake (technically primal, not Paleo, but given his aversion to eggs I'm letting it slide)

We had a cleaning crew in to do a major spring cleaning so in an effort to stay out of their way, we went out looking at play sets. They were still cleaning at 5pm so we ended up grabbing burgers, no-bun, while we waited for them to finish.

Sunday we went to the zoo in the morning, and relaxed at home for the afternoon. We had the "Lasagna" from Every Day Paleo for dinner. (recipe here) Now some of the strictest Whole 30 folks will say this wasn't compliant, since I "Paleofied" a dish. But aside from the fact the dish was layered, and the sauce had the same flavor profile, it wasn't really "lasagna". Had I stir fried, baked, or otherwise cooked the exact same ingredients it would satisfy those folks. And since I didn't cook it because I was craving pasta and wanted a substitute, I still think it counts.

Overall I am feeling much more energetic. The cravings I had in the beginning of last week for sweets have largely subsided. The creamer in the office fridge was not even remotely tempting. I also feel better prepared for the week. I know better that I feel better with slightly larger meals and a snack around 5pm to tide me over till dinner. I also bought almond milk to make the office-coffee palatable and remembered to actually bring it to work.

Hailey has been totally off milk since Saturday, although she did have some cheese at dinner that night. But she seems to be doing better. Last night she easily went down to bed. And she loves coconut milk (which btw has more calcium and the same amount of fat as 2% cow's milk, who knew?)

No comments:

Post a Comment