Sunday, February 10, 2013

It's Been a While

Hello World, it's been a while.

To say I had a difficult 2012 would be a great understatement.  Dealing with the aftermath of my brother's death took up a great deal of time.  Add in caring for a growing toddler and getting pregnant in May, not to mention continuing to work ... well there just wasn't a lot of time left for blogging.

One of my goals for 2013 (as a New Years Baby, I don't make resolutions), is to get this blog going again.  Since our household is starting a 21 Day Sugar Detox tomorrow (February 11), it seemed like a great time to start the blog up again.

The detox is basically 3 weeks of very strict primal, eliminating sweeteners including all fruit. The exception is  1 green apple or green tipped banana a day. The strict detox also eliminates sweet potatoes/yams and winter squashes.  However, it makes modifications for breastfeeding.  Using that modification  I will be having 1/2 cup of sweet potato with every meal.

I realize February 11 is an odd day to start a detox.  Most people, including the official 21 Day Sugar Detox groups on Facebook, start on the first of the month.  Because our son was born January 30, 2013, February 1 was just not a good day for us to start a detox. I used the first full week home with him to satisfy some major cravings I'd built up over the last 7 months (being a gestational diabetic meant I was not having cheat meals 20% of the time like I normally would).  While I would not have been satisfied without having my sushi, milkshakes and birthday cake - and really feel like I earned all those things - I also don't feel that great.  I'm ready to get back on track, and think this sugar detox is the perfect way to do it.

I credit staying Primal throughout my pregnancy for having my gestational diabetes in much better control than I did with our daughter.  While I gained more weight (25lbs v. 2lbs with Hailey), it was well within my goal.  I think the comparison photos below show the effect of my Primal diet on my pregnancy the best.  Both were taken at 36 weeks, I'm pregnant with Graham in the grey and with Hailey in the white.  


No comments:

Post a Comment